UPDATE: This article has been updated to reflect new features as of 24-6-16.
True GIS functionality is finally available for the iPad or iPhone! Your data, your maps, your device. Overlaid on satellite and map imagery, you can now import your spatial data and view it wherever you are.
Importing data into iGIS is easy. You can import spatial data using Dropbox, email or via USB on iTunes. Only ESRI Shapefiles (.shp) are supported at the moment.
Your spatial data is stored on the iPad, so there’s no need for an Internet connection to see your data – great for field work. We also support over 3000 projections, so no need for conversion.
We include support for multiple layers or points, lines or polygons – all styled as you like.
You can edit your data also – points, lines and polygons can be added. Track the GPS , use it to set waypoints or touch the screen – there are may ways to capture spatial data with iGIS.
Once you’ve collected the spatial data, you can add attributes in a data entry form. Even better, you can set the format of this form to suit your needs. Code lists, time stamps auto increment fields, default values, field ordering, feild hiding, etc, are supported. All data can be exported as an ESRI shapefile for your use back in your enterprise.
Look at the list of features:
- Unique menu system, with map icons – set your own icon from the map!
- Create lines, polygons and points
- Advanced editing on shape features, even once they have been saved
- Use inbuilt GPS for tracking logs and waypoints.
- Data entry forms can be customized with code lists, timestamps, etc.
- Import and export using ESRI Shapefiles
- Shows current GPS location on iPad + compass.
- Zoom to current location or data extent
- Pan, zoom in, zoom out on maps
- Changeable drawing styles for a layer: size, color, transparency
- Can arrange layer order and turn layers on/off easily
- Can set when a layer is shown using sliders
- Select and interrogate layer information via a point and click
- Shows the selected data on the map
- Show current coordinate in any chosen projection
This application is designed for GIS professionals and an understanding of some basic GIS concepts such as layers, shapefiles, projections etc, would make using iGIS simpler. Please let us know if concepts in iGIS are unclear.
Please let us know what features you’d like to see added or improved.